Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sun Life Stadium (Florida Marlins)




Ballpark Assessment
Category Score (0 to 10)TOTAL
(0 to 50)
LocationAtmosphereFoodExterior ArchitectureInterior Architecture
1243212

HORRENDOUS!  Until their own stadium opens for the 2012 season, the Marlins play in Dolphins Stadium, which is not very condusive to baseball crowds (i.e., lots of empty seats, no character throughout the concession stands).  There is no convenient way to get to this stadium if you don't have a car and the food is awful.


Game Comments (courtesy of MLB.com)
Game Date: May 16, 2010
Attendance: 17,977
Weather: 86 degrees F, partly cloudy
Length of Game: 3 hours, 12 minutes
Final Score: Florida Marlins 10, New York Mets 8

The Marlins sent 12 men to the plate in a six-run third inning and Chris Coghlan hit a three-run pinch-hit homer to cap a win over the Mets. David Wright and Alex Cora hit two-run doubles for New York.


Stories from the Road
I got into Miami late on Saturday night, and had thought about going out in South Beach that night, but after driving 12 hours that day, I was really tired.  Lame, I know.

Sunday, game day, was a typically hot summer day in Miami with temperatures in the mid 80s to low 90s.  That morning, I met a couple of colleagues from the Philadelphia office (who were spending the weekend in Miami) on the beach outside of their hotel, Eden Roc Renaissance.  We relaxed on the beach for about two hours before I headed off to the baseball game.

As I had decided to return the rental car earlier that morning to try to save a bit of money (this galavanting across the US is not cheap), I was forced to scrounge around for public transportation that would get me to/from the game.  Unfortunately, the options from the beach were limited and I had to catch a cab.

Let me tell you something ... There is nothing inexpensive about taking a cab from Miami Beach to Sun Life Stadium.  $60 one way!  Are you kidding me?!?  I can purchase 3 round trip bus tickets between NYC and Philly for that price.  Granted, it didn't help that the cabbie ran up the bill by purposely taking a circuitous route to the game.  Under normal circumstances, my tip would have been commensurate with the sub par service.  However, the cabbie gave me the number of a lawyer in Florida who might be able to help me with my speeding ticket from the day before (see Tropicana Field (Tampa Bay Rays) post).  You never know when you might need the services of a lawyer licensed in the states of Florida and Georgia.  I tipped well.

No comments:

Post a Comment